Saturday 7 May 2016

PASTOR KUMUYI,ONCE A DRUMMER BOY FOR WHITE GARMENT CHURCH.HE SCORED 0% IN SOME SUBJECTS BUT IN THE END OBTAINED A FIRST CLASS IN MATHEMATICS AND THE BEST RESULT IN THE ENTIRE UNIVERSITY-Pastor W.F.Kumuyi’s story written by Femi Obadun

YOU HAVE THE POWER WITHIN YOU TO CHANGE ANY NEGATIVE TREND IN YOUR JOURNEY AND BECOME SUCCESSFUL! - Femi Obadun



Multi Billion Naira church headquarters project at Gbagada,LAGOS,NIGERIA

Pastor Kumuyi ministering
I listened to a recorded message delivered by the General Overseer of Deeper Life Church worldwide. Deeper life which started in the early 70’s had by 1988 grown  it’s congregation at the headquarters church located in Lagos to 50,000, and now numbers 120,000 members, making it the third largest Christian church in the world. Dr. Johan Combrinck reports that the Deeper Life Bible Church not only has an attendance of 120,000 every Sunday, but has planted 500 churches in Lagos, 5,000 in the rest of Nigeria (with an independent estimate of more than 800,000 members in Nigeria alone), and 3,000 elsewhere (with missionaries to 40 countries of Africa) as the movement missionary contribution.
The classic message I listened to is entitled ‘Why do leaders fail’. A part of the message is really motivational and I believe it would help many people to see that they too can achieve whatever they set their minds to achieve and that failure is just a choice. One can decide to change whatever may be causing the failure and then move to the realm of success.
 He identified that the chief cause of his failure right from Primary 1 to Class 4 in the secondary school was ‘LAZINESS’. He did not ascribe his failure to spiritual forces as some would have easily done. In his own word, he narrated his story thus‘In those days, my father would beat me, the teachers would beat me as well. They would abuse me and each time they did that, I kept asking myself ‘what kind of trouble is this?’ ‘Why are they harassing my life this way?’ I knew nothing about reading; all I knew was playing and sleeping. One day, one of our teachers called me, responding to his call, I began to laugh and then he told me this ‘why are you laughing, Kumuyi?’ ‘Geography you don’t know, Mathematics you don’t know, Biology you don’t know and you still have the time to laugh in your life’ He abused me thoroughly and called me ‘small dirty thing’. I was so dull in my primary school days that they were just pushing me from one class to the next till I managed to enter modern school. I tell you this, I was lazy beyond description! To read, I didn’t know, I only knew how to play.
In the modern school, I was not interested in any subject except ‘the use of water colors’ in spite of that ,they still promoted me on- trial to secondary school .Even on getting to secondary, I was only growing worse, but still they kept  promoting me on-trial from class 1 up to class 4.I was far below average, I was extremely dull and failure in almost all the subjects was normal to me, to my father, to my teachers, to my fellow students and to those who knew me. The only thing they saw in me was failure and nothing but a bleak future. The teachers abused me verbally, discouraged me and sometimes even cursed me. On one of my school’s report, a teacher wrote ‘‘if this boy can read, maybe he will do well’’ Yes, the teacher was right, I was not reading at all. I was lazy and enjoyed it that way. I would not write notes, I would deliberately sit at the far end of the class where the teacher would not easily notice me, because I would never write any note while the teaching went on.In a particular exam, I can still remember that in Geometry I scored 5%, Algebra, less than 10%, Chemistry almost 0%,History,0% etc.
In 1960,On getting to Form 4, It was at that point that I received the turning point for my life. We were on holiday.I sat down and talked to myself thus ‘’Look at your age now and final exam is coming next year. Are you going to continue to live your life like this? So I just changed completely. I collected the notes of all the subjects from my class mates and updated mine. I sat down and determined within myself that this thing that is causing failure in my life would be dealt with. I was not a Christian then, but I just decided to change and God helped me, I changed for the best. Having identified that the real cause behind my failure was laziness, I was ready to kill it so I could live to be a success. For the first time right from my primary school days up till form 4, I really passed and got promoted to Form 5.I got promoted not on -trial but on merit! Why did I make it that way? I cut of playing, I cut off playing drum and dancing in the white garment church, the cherubim and seraphim church (the dancing got my interest  much more than my studies, so I cut it off completely).We had the school certificate Examination that year and I had  one of the best results to the amazement of many. When my father had no interest in obtaining a form for my Higher School Certificate examinations, I obtained the Advanced Level form on my own and began to study. For the HSC,I had A1 in Pure Mathematics and A3 in Applied Mathematics. I then went to the University of Ibadan to study Mathematics. Dear friend, the man who was once tagged a failure up till Class Four graduated with the best result in the entire university of Ibadan. He obtained First Class in Pure and Applied mathematics. I believe that we all have the power within to sit down and think over our lives over and over again and believe that we can change anything that may be causing failure in any aspect of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment